Hydrotherapy is a part of alternative medicine that involves the use of water for pain relief and treatment. The term encompasses a broad range of approaches and methods that take advantage of the physical properties of water, such as temperature and pressure, for therapeutic purposes, to stimulate blood circulation and treat the symptoms of certain diseases.
One therapy used in present day hydrotherapy is taking cold showers. For most of us, cold showers feel like an icy hell. Personally - I ease into it. First a nice warm shower - doing all my shower stuff. Then I end the shower with 2 minutes of cold - real cold. Screaming, shouting and woo hooooo cold.
I usually don’t think about jumping into a cold shower - and I just jump. Cold showers are actually good for you in 15 ways - probably more than 15 - but 15 is a good place to start.
Here Are The Top 15 Health Benefits Of Cold Showers ...
1) Increased Immunity - Studies found that people who regularly take to cold showers have more white blood cells than their hot shower peers. White blood cells are responsible for fighting diseases, and they believe that this is because cold showers activate your immune system by speeding up your metabolism, thus creating more white blood cells.
2) Better Blood Circulation - Looking to get your blood pumping? Nothing is better than a cold shower if you want to send that blood rushing all over your body. Stimulating your entire circulatory system isn’t a bad way to start your day.
3) Raises Fertility - For both men and women, cold showers can actually make it likelier for you to have kids. One study found that men who are forced to stop taking hot showers experience a boost of nearly 500% in their sperm count just six months later. This is because your testes need cool environments, not warm hot baths.
4) Higher Testosterone. This one is for the men. Testosterone is important for so many men, boosting everything from your muscle growth to your confidence. Instead of getting a shot of testosterone, just have a nice cold shower !!! Researchers have found that the heat from warm showers can change our DNA, manipulating it into producing less testosterone.
5) Its For Weight Loss - Cold showers are great if you want to lose weight. This is because cold showers force your body to activate the brown fat inside of you, which is used to insulate your body and keep your heat inside. When the body feels cold, the brown fat goes into overdrive, burning 15 times faster. Hello cold showers. Goodbye brown fat.
6) Better Hair And Skin - If you love beauty (and who doesn’t), then cold showers are for you: not only do they make your skin clearer, they also help out your hair. The freezing water cleans you while keeping the natural oils in your hair and skin, which warm water usually washes off. Its good to have a quality shower filter to make sure you remove the toxic chemicals like chlorine, chloramine and lead.
7) Makes You Alert - Starting your day can be the hardest part of the day, especially if you’re not a morning person. A cold shower fixes that. The rush of cold water speeds up your heart and forces your body to take in more oxygen, waking up your brain and your body way, way faster.
8) Relaxes You - Ah huh. For real. Cold showers have the ability to relax your stressful moments. They boost the Glutathione present in your blood and reduce your uric acid: these two things combined makes you a more relaxed person.
9) Emotionally Calming - Cold showers are an amazing way to develop focus, meditation, and Zen calmness. They activate the oxygen in your body. To relax in a cold shower means your body can relax in any environment, making you more in touch with your rational self.
10) Increases Will Power - You build your willpower by forcing yourself into doing something you don’t want to do every single morning for the rest of your life? Cold showers are a great way to exercise your discipline and willpower, and like every muscle in your body, the more you exercise it, the stronger it becomes.
11) Learn To Breathe Deeper - Cold showers make you take deep breaths, and you get the energy by breathing properly—deeply and thoroughly. It is enough to help you get through the rest of the day, without morning coffee.
12) Its Your Alarm Clock - Nothing is more effective at pushing away the sleep and getting you into that killer instinct than a cold shower. The cold shower immediately knocks out your sleepiness and gets your body into overdrive.
13) Great Way To Sleep - While cold showers can wake you up in the morning, they are also great at helping you get to sleep at night. Cold showers are also known as cold therapy, and are one of the most effective ways of knocking yourself out when it’s past your bedtime.
14) Eliminates Depression - Researchers have proven that cold showers can stimulate your “blue spot”, or the area in your brain that produces noradrenaline, the key chemical in resisting depression. The electroshock of the sudden cold shower sends impulses all over your brain that helps you beat depression.
15) Speeds Muscle Recovery - If you’ve been working out at the gym, the most important thing you need is muscle recovery: the faster your muscles recover, the faster you can increase your weights and reps. Cold showers are key towards speeding up your muscle recovery, which is why Olympians almost always take ice baths.
Remember, cold showers are supposed to improve your life, not scare you to death. Are you woman, or man, enough to start taking cold showers ??? Do you already take frigid showers for part of your health and hygiene rituals ???
Let us know about your relationship to the cold shower world and how it went for you - in the comments section below.
Comments will be approved before showing up.